Dog City Summer Events
A dog-friendly city enhances the quality of life for both residents and their dogs. Our goal is to become a more dog-friendly city providing opportunities to spend time with your dog, enrich their lives through dog-friendly recreational activities, and promote responsible dog ownership.
Top 10 Activities to Do with Your Dog This Summer!
- Be a responsible dog owner: dogs must be on a leash, up to date on vaccines, and be a positive, active role in your dog’s life!
- Find and explore new walking or hiking paths!
- Fill a kiddie pool with water and/or tennis balls
- Low energy or elderly dog? Buy a used or new stroller to take your dog with you inside dog-friendly stores or on long walks
- Go to a pet supply store and let your dog pick out a new toy!
- Go on a Sniffari! Walk and allow your dog to safely follow their nose to whatever smells they pick up
- Have a picnic in the shade and teach your dog basic or new commands
- Play with glow-in-the-dark dog toys at night
- Visit dog-friendly events and farmers’ markets
- Check out mental stimulation activities such as puzzle games/toys, snuffle mats, lick mats (spread peanut butter, pumpkin, or other safe foods), and hide treats around the house
- Get a free pup cup at a drive-thru: Starbucks, DQ, and Sonic
This summer we are providing dog-friendly activities: K9 Kerplunk, and a Charter Oak Dog Walk with Create Your Own Frisbee afterward. There will also be Pet First Aid and CPR Certification classes for the public.
In conjunction with the Manchester Youth Commission, we are happy to announce the annual K9 Kerplunk is back! We’ve added more days for your dog to swim at Globe Hollow (swimming for dogs only). We kindly ask for all dogs to be licensed, up to date on shots, and well-behaved Manchester dogs. If your dog is not licensed or renewed with the town, we will hand out dog license applications for you to bring or mail to the town clerk. A $5 pre-registration fee per dog (maximum of 2 dogs per handler), per swim session, is required. Admission to the event will benefit the Manchester Youth Commission! Registration can be done online or over the phone through any of our Recreation facilities.
Please contact Kellie Gauvin (860) 647-5262 or Josh Charette (860) 647-3139 with any questions. Hope to see you there!
Location: Globe Hollow Swimming Area
Session 1: Tu, 08/23/22, 4:00-4:45 PM
Session 2: Tu, 08/23/22, 5:00-5:45 PM
Session 3: Th, 08/25/22, 4:00-4:45 PM
Session 4: Th, 08/25/22, 5:00-5:45 PM
Session 5: Sat, 08/27/22, 9:00-9:45 AM
Session 6: Sat, 08/27/222,10:00-10:45 AM
Fee: $5.00 per dog (minimum 2 dogs per handler)
Charter Oak Dog Walk & Create Your Own Frisbee!
Join us for a dog walk along the East Coast Greenway at Charter Oak Park! We welcome dogs of all sizes and breeds, but kindly ask for all dogs to be well-behaved around others. We encourage distance if that makes you or another handler more comfortable. Afterward, you can create your own Frisbee for your dog to enjoy!
Location: Charter Oak Park Gear & Bike Shop
Meets: 08/19/22, 6:00 PM
Fee: No Fee, Drop-In
Certification in Pet First Aid & CPR
You love your dog or cat and want to keep them safe – do you know how to give them first aid or CPR in a medical emergency? Become certified in pet first aid & CPR! This class, led by a certified instructor, will teach the basics – from checking your dog’s vital signs and noticing abnormalities, to more critical emergency situations – cardiac arrest, hyperthermia & hypothermia, choking, wounds/bleeding, seizures, and more! This class will give you the knowledge, skills, and confidence to potentially save your pets life one day! A registration fee for your session of choice is required. Short breaks are provided during class. *Ramp located in the back for those with mobility issues. A pre-registration fee for your session of choice is required. No dogs in class. No pets in class.
Location: Community Y Recreation Center
Age: 16+ year olds
Session 1: Sat, 06/18/22, 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Session 2: Sat, 07/09/22, 9:00 AM-2:00 AM
Session 3: Sat, 08/06/22, 9:00 AM-2:00 AM
Session 4: Sat, 09/10/22, 9:00 AM-2:00 AM
Fee: $50 (r) / $62 (nr)