Food Pantry Resource Guide
Hunger remains a problem in Connecticut and across the country. According to Feeding America, 1 in 8 people in the state faces hunger—coming out to 428,800 people, including 109,480 children. Within the Manchester community, there are several resources that can help those in need. Several food pantries and kitchens exist within the town that can be taken advantage of by Manchester residents facing hunger.
With the winter holidays and cold weather upon us, it is also a great time to give back to the community. Each resource in the guide also contains a way to donate. This resource guide is thus for those who are in need as well as those in a position to give back to their community. Now more than ever, it is time for taking care of each other.
- The Community Emergency Food Pantry provides food by appointment only. Call (860)647-8003 x 28 to schedule an appointment.
- The Community Kitchen provides hot lunches on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, as well as bagged lunch on Mondays, Fridays, and Saturdays. Lunch is served from 11:30 AM to 12:45 PM, with no appointments necessary.
- MACC accepts food donations at the Community Emergency Food Pantry at 460 Main St. in Manchester Monday through Thursday from 9 AM – 4 PM and Friday 9 AM – 2 PM, or call to schedule a different time. For other donations, call (860)647-0440.
- A list of emergency need items that are always in need can be found on their website here, alongside a list of their programs.
- New Horizons Baptist Church
- The New Horizons Baptist Church, located at 40 Pitkin Street, Manchester, operates a food pantry on Sundays from 2:15 – 3:00 PM.
- The food pantry accepts monetary and food donations; call the church at (860)726-9292 to set up a time to make a donation.
- This food pantry accepts nonperishables and fresh food, as well as clothing for different ages.
- Second Congregational Church
- The Second Congregational Church, located at 385 North Main Street, Manchester, operates a food pantry from Friday mornings from 10 AM – 12 PM. According to their website, a mask and social distancing is required.
- Donations can be brought to the pantry on Friday mornings while it is open, or call the church at (860)649-2863 to schedule a time to make a donation.
- The food pantry accepts canned goods and personal care items, such as toothbrushes, deodorants, and mouthwashes.
- Serving the counties of Hartford and Tolland, Foodshare is a regional food bank that provides mobile food distribution among other programs. Foodshare trucks deliver to over 100 locations in the state regularly, including several locations in Manchester.
- The Mobile Foodshare schedule can be found online here, or call their 24-hour phone line at (860)856-4321 or text FOODSHARE to 85511.
- According to their website, “This program is open to anyone in Connecticut who needs food with no questions asked and no ID required. You will receive a variety of food, most of it fresh including produce. Some locations offer a drive-thru option, others are walk-up, but the line moves quickly. One allotment of food is given to each person 16 years or older at each site, even if you are picking up for someone else. You can visit as many mobile sites as you need to. Our sites will follow state and CDC guidance on masking and social distancing. You do not need to prove citizenship in order to get food. You do not need to demonstrate proof of income in order to get food.”
- Foodshare’s SNAP Outreach program also provides assistance in applying for SNAP by trained volunteers who will help fill out and submit applications. Call (860)856-4357 to schedule a time.
- Foodshare accepts donations through its website here.
- Health Collective East
- Located at 64 Church Street, Manchester, this food pantry is run by the Hartford Gay & Lesbian Health Collective.
- The Salvation Army
- The Salvation Army, located at 661 Main Street, Manchester operates a soup kitchen serving a meal on Sundays from 11:30 AM – 1 PM.
- Donations can be given through their website here.
- The Hub
- The Hub, located at 520 Center Street, Manchester, operates a food pantry for community members on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 9 AM – 12 PM and 1 PM – 3 PM.
- This food pantry does not accept outside donations of food.