CRUISIN’ ON MAIN STREET
PRESENTED BY TAYLOR RENTAL PARTY PLUS OF MANCHESTER AND FULED BY CITGO RETURNS TO MAIN STREET MANCHESTER ON AUGUST 1
Manchester, CT Cruisin’ on Main Street is back! After a hiatus in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic Cruisin’ will return to Downtown Manchester on Sunday, August 1 ( rain dates August 8 and August 15 ) from 10am to 3pm.
Cruisin ‘ is a one-day cruise and show for antique and classic cars, trucks, sports cars and street rods 1987 and prior. An almost one-mile portion of Main Street in Downtown Manchester closes to create a plaza-like viewing area where spectators can stroll, view, and swap memories of our shared automotive history.
“We are seeing strong attendance at cars shows throughout the region this spring and summer, notes Cruisin’ Committee Chair, Ed Firestone. There is pent-up demand. Both show car owners and spectators really missed the car show experience.”
Show cars can begin to arrive at 8am. A map showing registration entrances can be found at www.cruisinonmainstreet.org Show car registration is $10. The first 600 registrants receive a commemorative dash plaque. The show opens to the public at 10am with FREE spectator admission.
Cruisin’ 2021 is especially significant to organizers as the 20th anniversary of Cruisin’ was deferred due to COVID. “We are so happy to be able to celebrate this milestone.” says Firestone.
Beautiful vintage vehicles, food, music and fun all come together at Cruisin’. A taste of special activities offered at Cruisin’ 2021 includes:
- Meet Miss Connecticut – Appearance by Miss Connecticut 2021, Sapna Raghavan.
- For the Kids – A Hot Wheels Race Competition hosted by the Gear Head Mafia Car Club. Kids are given Hot Wheels Cars that they race on a specially designed track with medals awarded.
- Silver City Quarter Midget Club Display – Display of Quarter Midget Race Cars and info on the Silver City Quarter Midget Club. Quarter Midget racing is a form of automobile racing for children ages 5-16. The cars are approximately one-quarter the size of a full midget car.
- A Glimpse of the Future – The East Catholic High School Robotics Team, Aetos Dios, will demonstrate their robotic s project.
- View a Piece of Town History – During Miss Elisabeth Bennet’s tenure as principal of Barnard School, this bench was located outside her office. Visitors could sit there to wait and see her. The “bench” will be on display during Cruisin’. You are invited to share any family reminiscence with members of the Manchester Historical Society who will be present at the bench display.
- Staycation Art Exhibit – WORK_SPACE, the Town of Manchester Working and Meeting Center at 903 Main Street, will feature an art exhibit showcasing the joys and discoveries of being tourists in our own home and hometowns. Exhibit runs Aug. 1 thru Sept. 24. galleries@WorkSpacemanchester.com
- Live Music – The North East Surf Music Alliance and other talented musicians, along with 102.9FM personality, Rob Ray, will offer music from the “golden era” of Cruisin’.
- Great food has always been a part of Cruisin’ from the many individually owned food and beverage establishments that call Downtown home to the special vendors that add to the variety of delicious choices that Cruisin’ offers.
- Informative Displays by Cruisin’ Sponsors provide an opportunity to learn about products and services from knowledgeable local businesses. Cruisin’ would not be possible without the support of our sponsors.
- Sponsor’s Choice Trophy Awards that take place at 2pm are anxiously anticipated by Show Car owners and spectators alike.
Keeping the Cruisin’ Spirit Alive
The Cruisin’ spirit need not end when the last show car pulls away. Cruisin’ attendees and fans can take home a special memory of Cruisin’ by purchasing a 20th Anniversary Cruisin’ on Main Street Baseball Cap or T-shirt.
From its earliest days the Cruisin’ Committee has made giving back to the community a priority.
donating over $177,000 to local not for profits, civic and service groups. In addition, a special annual scholarship in memory of Cruisin’ Committee Member, John ”Randy” Thrall was established in 2014. The Cruisin’ Committee looks forward to continuing this tradition.
This year Cruisin’ created a Friends of Cruisin’ donation opportunity for those who wish to support Cruisin’. Monies raised through the campaign will go to MARC Inc. of Manchester after expenses are met. For more information go to www.cruisinonmainsgtreet.org or visit the Cruisin on Main Street Facebook page.
How to get to Cruisin’ and Where to Park
Getting to Cruisin’ is easy. Take I84 to I384 to Exit 3 to Downtown Manchester. Or, approach Main Street vis US Routes 6 & 44. Follow the signs for show car entry or spectator parking.
Inclement Weather Postponement Info
In the event of inclement weather postponement info will be broadcast by 6PM on the day before the event on 102.9FM The Whale and posted on the Cruisin’ website at www.cruisinonmainstreet.org and on the Cruisin’ on Main Street Facebook page. Rain dates are August 8 and August 15.